Sunday, November 1, 2015

HUBBARD Family in The Netherlands



Recently, I met a woman at one of my book reading events who lives part of the year in The Netherlands.  Knowing I had a passion for genealogy, we began discussing Holland and my Hubbard relatives.  I explained that I was a member of the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) through Stephen Hubbard  who was born in 1756 and died in 1828.  Stephen Hubbard was my 7th great grandfather through my mother's paternal family tree.  (Me, Neyda Hubbard, Jay Kimball Hubbard, Amenzo Jay Hubbard, Isaac Jabez Hubbard, Isaac Hubbard and then Stephen Hubbard).  The family history implied that grandpa Jay Kimball Hubbard was "Holland Dutch" but the research I have found lead me only back to Connecticut, where a George Hobart arrived from Glastonbury, England.

The book, "Founders of Early American Families: Emigrants from Europe 1607-1657 listed two men named George Hobart.  One arrived in 1633 and one arrived in 1639.  Since it has now been proven that the name, Hubbard, is an Americanized version of a (possibly) Dutch name, I have extended my research to include Hubbard, Hubbarde, Hubert and Hobart.  

My new friend suddenly became animated by telling me her friend might help find the family name in The Netherlands.  I was touched by her thoughtfulness and realized again how small this world really is.  And of course, wouldn't it be an amazing find to nail down where my ancestors came from in Europe?  It is common genealogical knowledge that many Europeans fled their countries headed to England because that is where most of the immigrant ships loaded their passengers for a sailing to America.  So, we know just because their ship left England, doesn't necessarily mean they were English.  Waiting with baited breath....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment